Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Intro 2

I recently purchased a wood pellet stove, if you go out and try to buy one today, most likely it’s not showing up until next spring. So many people are looking for alternatives because the markets are so volatile. If you walk into any shop that sells pellet stoves there is always a crowd of people standing around staring at them, this includes home depot too. I noticed it to be more difficult to get a clerk’s attention if you weren’t asking about a stove, and that was at my local lumber yard. I too became one of those people mindlessly gazing at them, thinking where I could put it, and that I could save money this winter. I’ve got oil fired forced hot water heat in my house and after last winter I decided that I wasn’t going to go broke over heating oil. A pellet stove was the answer, I still have to use oil to heat my hot water for now but if I can lower my heating bill I’ll be happy. The main reason for going with a pellet stove was cost, even though I’ve invested nearly the total of last year’s oil bill in this project. The stove is a onetime expense, and pellets average around $250 a ton for standard pellets. Availability is the only problem with pellets now. Second was the ease of use, I grew up with wood heat and spent my time cutting, splitting, and stacking, with pellets I just open the bag and pour them in. I also have no room for my car in the garage due to four tons of pellets standing in its place. Third was safety, I have curious little fingers wandering around my house and most pellet stoves are slightly warm to the touch. The baby is already interested in the pellet stove, he likes watching the fire dance around inside. As I learned when I was a kid, you only touch a hot wood stove once.

1 comment:

johngoldfine said...

I think you're going into too much detail in the back end here, basically starting to write the support grafs.