Monday, September 22, 2008

Intro 1

I recently purchased a wood pellet stove, if you go out and try to buy one today, most likely it’s not showing up until next spring. So many people are looking for alternatives because the markets are so volatile. I’ve got oil fired forced hot water heat in my house and after last winter I decided that I wasn’t going to go broke over heating oil. The pellet stove was the answer, I still have to use oil to heat my hot water for now but if it lowers my heating bill I’ll be happy. My main reason for going with a pellet stove was cost, even though I’ve invested nearly the total of last year’s oil bill in this project. Second was the ease of use, I grew up with wood heat and spent my time cutting, splitting, and stacking, with pellets I just open the bag and pour them in. And third was safety, I have curious little fingers wandering around my house and most pellet stoves are slightly warm to the touch. As I learned when I was a kid, you only touch a hot wood stove once.

2 comments:

Mark said...

There are a lot of people out there since May of this year that have bought a pellet stove. This includes me. It seems that you and I were in the same situation.

I grew up with a woodstove, and have memories of getting up at 6am and riding a tractor to the woods with my dad, cutting and me lugging wood to the old wagon, filling it, because my dad wouldn't let us out of the woods without a full load of wood. Then every last Sunday of the month he would climb a ladder to the second story of our old farm house and clean the chimney.

When I was looking for an alternate heat source I was thinking to myself there was no way I was going through that again. Pellet stoves with there direct venting(this means no chimney to clean) and low maintenance are the way to go. In May I bought a Harman XXV, the rush was just starting at that time. Here in Vermont I have used it a couple of times already to take the chill off.

Great Blog by the way.

johngoldfine said...

This works, but look at this guy Mark's comment and what he gives to the reader in his second graf--a bit of a story, something very individual. It's good! The closest you come to that kind of thing is mentioning those little fingers.