Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Isearch Why

I chose to search for information on a basement remodel because it is something I plan to do in the future and I need more information before I start diving in. As my family grows larger the free space in the house grows smaller and smaller, I decided something has to change. My wife and I had talked about putting on an addition or even a second story but, once I got to pricing things out I realized just how deeply in debt I would be when the dust had cleared. The idea of a second floor was thrown out first because we would lose some of our already cramped space while it was in process. I would also need to hire a contractor. The addition idea is still being kicked around but at this point financially, it just isn’t practical. Then came the basement idea, cheaper, simpler, and I think I can do it on my own but…
• Roughly, how much will it cost me?
• What do I need to do to the basement before I begin?
• The floor is not perfectly level, how do I fix it and with what?
• Do I need to seal off between the cement and the wood?
• Will I have to buy a special tool to nail into cement?
• How do I lay out a floor plan to accommodate my needs?
 Day time lighting, access to drain clean outs, water softener, oil tank, furnace, washer and dryer, etc.
• How will I heat these rooms in the winter?
 Can I draw air down into the basement on one end and push it back up on the other?
 Will I have to use an electric monitor heater? How much will that cost to run?
• What about wall vents to keep the air moving and not “stagnant” and trapped down there?
• My oldest boy wants his room downstairs, how can his input affect the final results?

1 comment:

johngoldfine said...

Looks good. This is shaping up nicely.