Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Isearch What

The first real question that surrounds this project is price. In the end, what will it cost? I know prices vary from lumber yards to the big box stores and that small, local yards often deliver for free. I’m far enough away to know it’s not worth the trouble to ask a big retailer to deliver for free. I know sheet rock and 2x4’s all average around the same price range. If I figure in the gas price to go get cheaper stuff further away I may not be saving any money or time. There is a ton of junk in my way that needs to be moved before I can even start any prep work. I assume that the walls and floor will need to be cleaned before any kind of floor or wall framing can begin. I know my basement floor is not perfectly level and will require some kind of Leveling Compound, although I don’t really know what that is or how to use it. I have heard of using some sort of poly film and pine strapping to seal off between the cement and the soon to be finished rooms. There is also something called mastic. I think mastic is a kind of water barrier that is spread over the exiling cement. I know of some kind of tool made to drive nails into concrete using a blank .22 round but, I don’t have one. How much will one cost?

An exact and final floor layout will be necessary before I even get started. I know there will need to be a utility hallway to access my large chest freezer and water softener. This will also need to have storage space for the bags of water salts. The kitchen sink drain cleanout is over the water softener and I will want to reach it easily if needed. I’m trying to figure out how to accommodate the only window in that area into the main bedroom. It would be good to have a natural day time light source and will also provide ventilation. Another hall will be needed to access the laundry room, storage room, and my workshop area which also contains my oil furnace and oil tank. In the winter, heating the rooms to a comfortable temperature may be a challenge. I have been thinking about floor vents with duct fans to pull air down stairs, at least for the bedroom. Although I question whether or not my new pellet stove can heat the added space without robbing heat from the upstairs. Last spring I purchased a one room, water filled radiator heater on clearance at Wal-Mart. It claims to heat a whole room with no exposed element and at a low energy cost. This will be my first approach but it is still in the box nine months after being bought. I should also install some small wall vents to allow some air movement but the floor plan will decide their location.

The bedroom will be for my oldest son, he is six years old. He is excited about having a new bedroom and wants to add his opinion in the final finish work. He and I were in our local building supply store and he spotted drop ceiling tiles with race cars on them. These are going to a must for his new room. He also wants to pick his own floor but can’t decide between a rug or black and white tiles laid out like a big checker board. Whatever his choices are they are permanent because once it’s done, I’m finished with it.

1 comment:

johngoldfine said...

Sounds good, tom. No suggestions, other than to get that boy to help so when the day comes, he can repair and refit and redecorate to his heart's content.